I guess you could consider it as a hobby. :)

I remember back in my Amiga days thats all I used to do. Download beta
software and tinker with it. My machine was usually pretty unstable
due to it being so loaded up with beta software. lol
Usually there's a problem to solve so you don't need them all, but I
know what you mean... so many software programs out there so little
time. :)