Fiddler has saved me a tonne of times with it's man in the middle
certificate for TLS traffic. Coupled with wireshark it's a fantastic tool.

I assume you're meaning REST vs. SOAP (old ASMX). Plain on HTTP calls are a
lot easier and you can implement a lot of already existing basic
technologies to work with it. I.e. You can make REST call's in JavaScript,
just try doing SOAP calls and you will start wishing it was implemented in
REST. I've also dealt with JAVA to a .Net SOAP service and there's a number
of things that need to be tweaked to get it to work because of MS out of the
box design decisions.

The main difference is REST is lightweight, human readable and you don't
require any specific tools to use it; SOAP is easy to consume thanks to
WSDL, strongly coupled as it is forced to use a contract and has a tonne of
tools supporting it. REST is what SOAP should have been, but something along
the way just went wrong.

Take a look at
http://geeknizer.com/rest-vs-soap-using-http-choosing-the-right-webservice-p
rotocol/ for more a good comparison.