To keep it simple, I can look at a single function and see what it would be
like under an NBN.

Backups for disaster recovery.

I currently backup to a NAS within my environment. The backup of a server
usually takes between 20 minutes and 1 hour, over my internal 1Gbps network.
I have Telstra Cable, which is 100Mbps download speed and 2Mbps upload
speed. If I want to backup offsite to ensure I don't succumb to risks such
as fire, my current backup will take roughly 500 times as long to backup to
the cloud, and I currently have one of the fastest connections you can get
outside of the NBN.

Will I go and fork out a few grand to backup for the extra fibre to the
node? The answer is no. I have better things to spend my capital on.

Yet if I had a fast enough internet upload speed, I could backup all my
servers to the cloud within a practical timeframe. Economies of scale would
bring down the price of storage due to the volume of people that would be
backing up to the cloud. And it wouldn't just be business, either. An
average person might want to set up backups from their home computers to the
cloud as well. During the backup process, virus detection could identify
people who had viruses and root kits on their machines during the backup
process and alert them straight away. This would significantly reduce the
amount of viruses getting around as well. Just a thought bubble.

But, oh, no, there are no good reasons to have high speed internet are
there.

Secondly, the entire purpose of the NBN was to replace the degrading and
antiquated copper wires. If there is an agreement that the copper wires need
replacing, and the Liberals obviously believe they don't need replacing,
then the question is, what do we replace it with. The answer is, that
whatever we replace it with, we may as well get a decent speed out of it at
the same time.

If the Liberals want to keep their copper, well good on them. But I don't
know why the rest of us should have to suffer from their ignorance and short
sightedness.

Only around 45% of the population voted for the Liberal Coalition (meaning
the Liberals, the Nationals, The Liberal National Party and the Country
Liberals). The other 55% voted for other parties that either had a different
opinion or no opinion on the NBN, and the difference on the two party
preferred vote is less than 4%. So no, I don't think the election was a
petition at all. If 4 out of 100 people vote for a different government at
the next election, we would change governments again. The way the
politicians are behaving, perhaps we could get lucky. We got rid of Rudd and
Gillard at the last election, perhaps we could get rid of Abbott at the next
one.