Oh, I wasn’t sure what the point of the iiNet invoice was.

I was more interested in what you were claiming about HFC/cable.

One issue I have with cable is that the most productive members of the
community using the Internet, the IT sector, have gradually, over the years,
relocated themselves into high speed internet areas. The only high speed
internet for the last 20 years has really been cable. So you’ve now got the
people who can be the most economically productive with the internet
constrained because their internet isn’t going to change. They can no longer
get access to 1Gbps connections. Let’s be frank – from the IT sector’s point
of view, it’s all about how fast we can transfer files around, whether they
are content files, web sites, applications, databases, virtual machines,
videos, or desktop or server backups, it doesn’t really matter. We just want
them sent, and sent fast, and currently the time taken to do this takes so
long that we end up copying large files to usb drives and delivering them
ourselves, if we can’t wait a week for them to transfer.

Another issue I have with cable is that the highest number of connections
off a single cable is 32. You share your internet with 32 other customers
and if they are large consumers of bandwidth, too bad for you – the capacity
is constrained for that 32, and if you don’t like it, nothing is going to
change it, you’re stuck with it. The alternative, fibre, doesn’t have this
issue, because fibre is aggregated at the ISP. If there is too much
contention, they can add another CVC pipe (and in Jon Dart’s email he says a
CVC pipe could service a lot more than 3000 people in a large ISP).

Another issue is that there is no upgrade path from cable to NBN. They
spend all their time and money upgrading from DocSis 3.0 to 3.1 and they’re
not going to want to come back. Anyone who is in the cable area is no longer
going to have a node box at the end of the street. So the promise made
before the election that you could pay $3000 to connect up to the full NBN
is now gone. People in the cable areas have no ability to access 1Gbps
internet and will not have for 20 years. I am 150 metres from the NBN and
will no longer be able to pay for a connection because I am in a cable area.
If the world moves to even faster internet, which is possible given the
10Gbps trials are still in progress in the UK, then we won’t be able to move
to the higher speed. The Liberal NBN is simple not (small “a”) agile. Which
for the money spent is a shocker.

So the bottom line is, that’s why HFC sucks.