Not really related to universal apps, but there is an interesting short article
in InfoQ that quotes DevExpress specifically about “their take" on the future
of Silverlight.

This is the teaser -

DevExpress on the Future of WinForms and Silverlight

You can tell a lot about the future of a UI toolkit by how the third party
control vendors are treating it. Since their revenue is based around correctly
predicting what developers are going to be using in the near future, they spend
a lot of time and effort researching the topic. In this report, we’ll be
looking at DevExpress and their treatment of WinForms and Silverlight. (News
<http://www.infoq.com/news/2014/12/DevExpress-WinForms-Silverlight> )

Suffice to say DevExpress is putting Silverlight development “on hold”. But
they are positive about the future of XAML. (link
<https://community.devexpress.com/blogs/ctodx/archive/2014/12/22/silverlight-s-future-at-devexpress.aspx>
 )

>From its early beginnings in WPF and Silverlight, XAML has grown into a
>cross-platform user interface definition language. We now use it for WPF,
>WinRT, Windows Phone, and soon-if-not-now Universal Apps. The legacy of
>Silverlight the framework is essentially Windows Phone, but that of XAML is
>across all platforms.

Windows Forms? Read the two articles.

Back to Microsoft’s universal apps. My original post and remarks about the
comments below the Microsoft blog article was non-judgmental – in contrast to
the comments (I find they’re usually alarmist, occasionally informative). As
David Kean make clear,  Microsoft wouldn’t leave those gaping omissions.

  _____

Ian Thomas
Albert Park, Victoria