I'm a bit ignorant of this, being a "slow adopter" - so would appreciate
some opinions.

 Apart from being ready for another self-build, a 15yo releative is keen to
build himself a gaming PC that will last a few years [his choice of graphics
card is based on the Nvidia GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 chipset, which is expensive:
the Asus ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970, (Base: 1140MHz, Boost: 1279MHz), 4096MB
(7010MHz) GDDR5, PCIE3.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort  i over $500 at a
couple of places I've checked].

Someone was telling me that the LGA 2011-3 supports both DDR3 and DDR4 RAM,
and there are some motherboards about that have slots for both types of
memory.

Is that right?

The socket is used for the Intel Haswell-E and Haswell-EP CPUs. It was
released in 2014 so now there should be some manufacturers supporting
motherboard builds for people like me who would stuff it with DDR3 until the
cost of DDR4 comes down by a factor of 3 or so ..

Ian Thomas

Albert Park, Victoria 3206 Australia