I've been looking at refreshing my system as well. I'm not sure why you'd
consider a Haswell system over SkyLake?

The price difference between something like an Intel i5-4590 (Haswell) and
an Intel i5-6500 (Skylake) is ~$15.
And the price difference between 8GB of DDR3 (1600Mhz) and 8GB of DDR4
(2133Mhz) is ~$20 (at least for Kingston).

I don't know where you're shopping to see three-fold price differences.