I agree with you. There are all sorts of biases that come into play at
interviews that often have very little to do with getting the right person
to match the job and whether they can even do the job.

There are interviewers that want someone "like them" that might, perhaps,
expect your braindump of technical knowledge to match theirs, there's
primacy bias (comparing every candidate to the first one interviewed),
recency bias (comparing everyone to the last person interviewed), there's
the halo affect (one positive answer overshadows all negative answers), the
horns affect (one negative answer overshadows all positive answers), and
there's unconscious discrimination.

So there are definitely good people that get passed over during the
interview process. Unfortunately, if you don't actually know the person or
know of the person, there's really no other way. Mistakes in the
interviewing process are often made, even when the person answers all the
questions correctly they can still be a disaster. And these mistakes can
just as easily be made by professional recruiters, who often suffer the
same biases as everyone else.

The problem is really when you get someone that isn't a match. It is
disastrous because it is a huge waste of time and money spent finding out
the person isn't a fit. It is also disastrous because you will now need to
find someone else to fill that position. And finally, it disastrous to the
person themselves because they could have missed opportunities where they
could have excelled in something else where they would have been a better
match. So you don't really want to hire a person that thinks they're an
"expert" that aren't really expert. It can make or break a project, and
when it's your money on the line...