Aaron Johnson wrote:

I know you _can_ , but I don't find it convenient.

For me it's pretty much the same as debugging a command-line script. To debug a mod_perl handler I just do something like this:

httpd -X -Ddebug

Then I hit the URL with a browser or with GET and it pops me into the debugger. I have httpd.conf set up to add the "PerlFixupHandler +Apache::DB" line when it sees the "debug" flag.

I still don't like to give apache long processes to manage, I feel this
can be better handled external of the server and in my case it allows
for automation/reports on non-mod_perl machines.

I try to code it so that the business logic is not dependent on a certain runtime environment, and then write a small mod_perl handler to call it. Then I can use the same modules in cron jobs and such. It can get tricky in certain situations though, when you want to optimize something for a long-running environment but don't want to break it for one-shot scripts.

- Perrin