On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:26:13PM -0700, Rob Nagler wrote:
> > Rob Nagler also wrote:
> > > I trust Linux more than Apache, for example, because Linux is
> > > not only older, but was built using an interface design which is
> > > 30 years old and has been allowed to evolve.

> Rocco Caputo wrote:
> > It seems naive to assume that an older project is more reliable than a
> > younger one.  Inception dates have no bearing on the age and quality
> > of source code, otherwise djbdns would be considered less reliable
> > than bind.

Rob Nagler again:
> Is "old code is good code" a myth then?  It's certainly bandied about
> often enough.

First I'd like to apologize for reading more into your posts than you
intended.  Thanks for making things clear in your last message.

On average, older projects may tend to be more reliable than younger
ones, but "old code is good code" is not a hard rule.  It also applies
more to code than to projects like Linux and Apache as whole things.
The age of a project is no guarantee of the age of its code.

The assertion also assumes at least three things about code.  It
relies on all code being born at the same level of quality.  It
demands that all code progresses towards Quality Nirvana at a constant
rate.  It assumes that updates never make things worse than before.

> Rocco Caputo writes:
> > Rob Nagler wrote:
> > > Use of a user string incorrectly in a "system" or "open" might do it.
> > > Also, an incorrect chown, chmod, umask, etc.
> >
> > A casual grep through POE's source would reveal that it doesn't do any
> > of this.
>
> I looked briefly at UserBase.pm, because it seems to have something to
> do with security.  I came up with a few questions which weren't easily
> resolved.  There are probably good answers to all my questions, but
> I'm a fairly experienced programmer and my casual observations didn't
> find them.  I wouldn't find easy answers for Apache either, but I
> *trust* Apache from its reputation alone.  That's the best I can do,
> and that's what I've been arguing about.

[...]

UserBase is a third-party module using POE, but it's not part of POE
itself.  The relationship between the two is similar to the one
between J. Random CPAN Module and Perl.

Your comments are very useful, though.  Thank you.  I'll forward them
to the module's author.

-- Rocco Caputo - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://poe.perl.org/