From: lchu...@mobitechsystems.com
To: palm-dev-forum@news.palmos.com
Subject: RE: Classic emulator interface on Palm Pre
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:48:33 -0500

The days of the $200 PDA are gone forever.  The Palm market lasted longer than
most (Windows Mobile manufacturers exited several years ago, and the low-end HP
units are now $400 +).  If you want just a Palm OS device w/o phone then the
Acceda and the Janam units will have to do.

I do find your comment that phone service is "secondary to our real needs"
somewhat myopic.  None of my customers carry only a PDA and no cell phone.
Asked which they would give up first, I would bet the PDA would lose.   So
let's do some math:  option 1 would have been  to buy a Tungsten E2 at $200,
and get a free phone with a cell contract at $49 per month, and I carry 2
devices.  Option 2 would have been (and now is) to pay $99 for a Centro
(current market price in my area), plus $49 per month for cell service, and I
carry one device.  So option 2 costs me less money and cuts my device count in
half; that seems like a good deal for the consumer.  It's not the PDA portion
of the device that costs $49 - 159 per month, it's the cell service.