You are right. I support delivery drivers who use Palms as a Point of Sale device. Had a poor woman call that her E2 wouldn't digitize and Palm couldn't sell her one. She couldn't use a Unlocked Centro because a.) we don't support it, and b.) it won't hook to her printer. (Although I got one to work by jamming it against the leads on the printer and if she bought one I would tell her how to get it to work with our software, but we don't test on them.)

My customers need PDA's. I redirected her to a reseller of refurbish Palms, but soon that source will dry up. We face the possibility of having to switch to Windows Mobile, and having the nightmare of supporting two platforms that the customers can't tell apart. (Trust me.)

Cell phones do not work for delivery drivers. Janam has a Palm PDA for just such a use, but it cost $1500. Many of our customers are small family owned businesses that would rather buy or replace $200 or $300 PDAs as they break.

Benjamin

luis maldonado wrote:
Lee your comment about YOUR custmers not wanting to give up the phone makes my point, these customers DO need both services and in that case the phone/PDA combo wins hands down. Howerver, my comment was directed towards those applications like restaurants, small warehouses, doctors and others where the phone is NOT necessary and the PDA is only used for data collection, then the phone is an EXTRA charge for a data collector unit. In some of these areas a 200.00 unit is what the doctor ordered.... Luis,