You can burn then rip.  I agree that there are legal issues.  But it's
also so time consuming to burn to cd and then rip to files that I
couldn't be bothered.  A 280 page book took up around 10 cd's.  It
takes a while to burn each one and then just as long to rip them.  The
files are already transferable to any portable device you might want
so I just don't see the point.  File management is time consuming
enough as it is!
Cheers,
Peter