I share Hammit’s thoughts here. About five years ago I bought the
Audiophile 24/96 PCI card, which is produced by M-Audio.  I herd so
many good things on this list about high quality sound cards. I wasn’t
disappointed. It was a thousand percent improvement in quality from
the built in computer sound card. The stereo soundstage was much wider
and there was much greater depth of sound, particularly at the low
end. The spoken word recordings I fed into the card from analog
sources were of broadcast quality with complements from the production
team. The 24-bit depth with the higher sampling rate on the card
enables seamless edits without the choppy effect herd with so much
audio these days.  In my latest recording, I edited a politician in
mid-sentence so it sounds like he began his presentation at the
beginning of my edit. I edited out the non-newsworthy thanking and
acknowledgement of numerous aldermen.  People do funny things when
they see a high quality broadcast microphone, cables, and headphones
monitoring a field recorder.

I don’t regret one minute spending the extra money for this. As a
blind person, my world is audio and a much-improved audio experience
has greatly improved the quality of my computer life.

Kelly