Good idea, it will be interesting to see how the latest Yamaha surround-sound
receiver I plan to buy next year goes, it has manual setting as far as I'm
aware but by default you use a microphone.

For example you sit in your favourite armchair once you've set the amp up and
turn it on, the amp then plays tones through all the speakers and - by using
feedback from the microphone you hold - it adjusts the volume for each channel
in tern.

Well, that's one way of doing it I spose <smile>.