So. I'm shooting a flower that is four millimetres high by three wide. At 4x
I still end up with an image that fits my 35 mm film. Are you going to tell
the same sized image on 6x7 will be better? How? This is my whole point - it
cannot be. Regardless of magnification, which is a red-herring, if the image
fits on the film there is no point in using a bigger piece. For Heaven's
sake! Why all the unsubtle manoeuvring around a simple statement -> 'where
the image fits on 35 mm there is no point in using a bigger piece of film'?
Magnify all you like 50X - 1000X with a microscope if you want. *If* the
final image that emerges from the exit pupil fits on 35 mm - that's all you
need.

Bigger can give you nothing more than trouble. What I say applies to 6 x 7,
4 x 5 or 10 x 8 or any size. If the image, that you have decided upon for
you picture, fits on the 10 x 8 there is no point in using an Agfa plate a
metre square - yes they do exist, I've used them. Now don't start telling me
that you can use higher magnification to fill the metre square, that's not
the point. You've already done all that, decided on magnification and the
rest. And I'm as close to swearing as I'll ever be and not do it. I've
already been called senile and told that I talk rubbish. By people who
simply don't, or won't because they think they might lose face, understand.

Don

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery