>> Now don't start telling me
 that you can use higher magnification to fill the metre square, that's not
 the point. You've already done all that, decided on magnification and the
 rest.

Don,
What I was trying to say earlier is that pictorial photographers DON'T
"decide on magnification." It's just not the way we work. There's nothing
wrong with your argument or your conclusion; it's this premise that causing
all the confusion. IMO.

--Mike

The question I ask myself starts from having decided the FINAL magnification of the object ON A PRINT.

We want a print depicting an 18mm dime as a 180mm image.

I can take a 1X photo on a 35mm camera, enlarge the film 10X with an enlarger or take a 4X photo on a 4X5 camera and enlarge it 2.5X. Same film and paper but, of course, 4 different lenses.

Now, what are the differences between the two?

Am I right to say that, in theory, the result will be the same if all lenses have the same resolution and contrast at the magnification they were used?

Andre