Yes that's true. In my laboratory reproduction ratios and camera lengths
were all important. Most calculations were based upon distances between
diffraction spots of millimetres and small fractions thereof and camera
lengths of metres. The calculations were simple trigonometry and we ended up
doing it all on an HP 1000 system with a drum scanner attached. I got it
with a grant from a US group.

But so what? Let us consider magnification as well. Say we have a small
object to be photographed. We want to see detail and we decide a
magnification of 10 times will do the trick. We have all the cameras we need
from 10 x 8 down to 35 mm -  throw in a Minox for good measure. The final
image, at 10X, will fit on 35 mm and on all the others, upwards, as well.
What do we choose? A 10 x 8 Kardan, or a fine 35 mm SLR with a good Macro
lens? Without thought the majority of folk jump for larger formats. When
asked why, they invariably fall back on magnification saying bigger images
on the film are better, less grain and so on and on. All missing the point.
The magnification is done with, decided, no longer relevant.

I tried hard to explain that if the image would fit on 35 mm it was a
mistake to use anything bigger? Then the balls came back to me, over and
over, 'magnification', 'bigger images better resolution', 'less grain' and
so on - all irrelevant. But they had no better answers. None seem able to
grasp the basic concept. If the final image, magnified or not, fits on 35 mm
then you use 35 mm because to use anything bigger would be pointless.
"Better tonality" was my favourite.

But let us say we have no 'camera' at all. Just an optical bench and a
selection of film backs. We select a 10mm Zeiss objective from the cupboard,
set up the lighting and end up with a nice sharp magnified image, showing
the detail we want, on our ground glass. The image is 5 cm high. Do we try
to put it on 35 mm? No we take out a 6 x 7 roll film holder and stick that
in the slot, stop down our lens, turn off the main lights and take our
picture. We didn't use 35 mm because the image wouldn't have fit, anything
bigger than 6 x 7 would have been pointless. Its so simple a concept that no
one seemed able to grasp it.

I was simply extolling one particular virtue of 35 mm. That's it *excels* at
macro work for *small things*. There are other reasons that 35 mm is better,
in some ways, than larger formats for this, but I'm sure if I brought them
up there would be more nonsense - and I mean that in the dictionary
definition sense of the word - for which I don't have patience. I'm going to
let this poor dog die.

Don

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams