Many Spotmatics have died, that's true.  But, considering that they are between
27 and 38 years old, a surprising number of them are still around.  And, in my
experience, the overwhelming reason that they die is that the meter goes.
Mechanical failures are not that prevalent.

Even if the mechanics fail, there are so many meter-less bodies out there from
which to cannibalize parts, the majority of mechanical failures can still be
remedied.

regards,
frank

<snip>

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert