Boris,
If the film you are planning on scanning is 35mm, then the 2450 is not the ideal scanner. Specially if you are planning on making prints from the scanned images.

I recently purchased a Microtek Scanmaker 5900. I purchased it primarily for scanning 120 film. It does a fair job at that.
When I compare 35mm scans between the 5900 and my dedicated HP S-20 film scanner, the HP wins hands down.

For documents scanning, OCR, faxing and copying the 59000 (as well as the 2450) is a fine machine.
But for film scanning you should look for a dedicated Minolta, Nikon, Canon (or even the inexpensive HP S-20).

HTH,
Jeff.

Boris Liberman wrote:
Hi!

I am given the opportunity to buy Epson 2450 scanner (flat bed, but
seems to be the only reasonable one for scanning the film) for $250.
It is about one year old, one owner.

My questions would be:
1. Is it a fair price? What is a fair price?
2. What is the potential points of total failure of this unit?
3. How long usually flat bed scanners work before they have to be
replaced?

My purpose of using it would be to eliminate process variable of lab
scanning my negatives, and doing the job myself. Time to time I would
scan documents, thus making my home PC into complete copier/fax
machine.

Your help is very much appreciated.

P.S. A moment ago by mistake I've posted it from my other account that
is not registered with PDML, obviously <bg>. So you might get two very