Boris,

Have you considered ordering from B&H in New York? My own experience and those of friends leads me to believe that they are very honest, efficient, and reliable.

I am saying this because I have recently been scanning 35mm negs with a flatbed scanner and it is a VERY time consuming process. I have spent probably 10-12 hours and only have 12 scanned negatives to show for it.

I would definitely encourage you to look at a film scanner.

Michael Cross

Boris Liberman wrote:

Hi!

Bill, from your response and from other responses I gather that Epson
2450 is a satisfactory film scanner, even for 35 mm film. It is not
top quality, but I suppose to expect a top film scanning quality from
flatbed scanner is at least illogical.

OTOH, at the moment I am struggling with local labs. Obviously they
wouldn't babysit and fine tune their machine for my films. So, quite
often scans come out with very lousy quality.

Another problem would be that for sure in Israel to find a dedicated
film scanner would cost me at least 1.5 times more than its actual
price. So I suppose I am left with little choice.

The only thing that would stop me is too steep a price or too old a
unit. Since none of you reported any aging problems or any mechanical
glitches with your scanners I must conclude that Epson 2450 is a
reasonably reliable machine.

As for the scans themselves. I've witnessed a person who is going to
sell me the scanner getting roughly 12 MP file from 35 mm negative. Of
course 12 MP exceeds by some 3 MP maximal optical power of the sucker.
Still the 30x40 cm print was very good. Since at the moment my aim is
at most! 30x40 cm prints, I'd say it would be acceptable.

My rough estimate would be that if it does not break down within a
year, it will return the investment... Then it could be replaced or
augmented with another device.

Am I terribly wrong someplace in my reasoning?

---
Boris Liberman
www.geocities.com/dunno57
www.photosig.com/viewuser.php?id=38625