Sad story. And one that's been repeated many times. I shipped list member Bernd Scheffler a lens via UPS. Bernd is in Germany, and I'm in the US. The lens was worth $120 or so (I don't remember the exact amount), but UPS and the German customs conspired to charge him an extra $50. That was my last UPS international shipment. Never again. I still use UPS for domestic shipments, because I get a great deal through work, but for international I now use the US Postal Service. No problems so far.
Paul