----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Stenquist"
Subject: Re: OT:shipping to Canada

> Sad story. And one that's been repeated many times. I shipped list
> member Bernd Scheffler a lens via UPS. Bernd is in Germany, and I'm
in
> the US. The lens was worth $120 or so (I don't remember the exact
> amount), but UPS and the German customs conspired to charge him an
> extra $50. That was my last UPS international shipment. Never
again. I
> still use UPS for domestic shipments, because I get a great deal
> through work, but for international I now use the US Postal
Service. No
> problems so far.

I'm watching an auction right now for a lens I kinda want, but the
seller sez UPS only for shipping.
I just checked, and the lens is still available new, delivered from
Pentax to my local store for about what I figure the auction will
close for plus whatever UPS tacks on.
If the guy would ship via any other shipper, I might have bid......

William Robb