On Aug 14, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Bob W wrote:

That's why there'll be no more bricks & mortar bookstores in a few years.

Amazon will charge whatever they want, and we will have lost the pleasure of browsing for books. You won't be able to talk to knowledgable staff about the books. The town centres will become dustbowls and the unemployment rate will keep on rising. There'll be fighting in the streets, with our children
at our feet...

Well, perhaps not that bad. But what you're doing is what happened to all the little photo shops, and so many other small shops. It all contributes to the break-up of local communities and a fall in the quality of the goods and
the quality of living.

I've bought an awful lot from Amazon over the years, but almost only when I haven't been able to get the book locally (which includes the West End of
London).

Support your local shops.

All the good bookstores near me are either big chains (Barnes & Noble or Borders Books) already, with the exception of the four used bookstores and two small bookshops which I frequent and buy from quite often. Since B&N and BB are on the same order of commercial scale in business as Amazon.com, what the heck? Why pay a 40% added markup to B&N when Amazon has the same thing?

Camera shops ... The two good ones nearby I frequent often, and they usually offer prices quite close to what I can buy from B&H Photo, and I buy locally whenever it's sensible to. All the little older Mom & Pa shops ... well, Mom and Pa already retired and nobody picked up the business. Not much choice there.

The world has changed.

Godfrey