On Mar 15, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Tom C wrote:

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/FA31-flare-0759.jpg

It's not really a flare issue with the lens though... the flare is a factor of the way it was used, right? IOW, any lens will exhibit a degree of flare under the right circumstances.

Of course. All I'm saying is that the fixed lens hood is not very effective for a 16x24mm format DSLR, and the design of the lens makes it difficult to change to an effective one.

In this case I would guess holding a hand up on the sunward side of the lens might have eliminated the flare, and of course a deeper lens hood (or maybe just totally circular) would have done the same.

It's a street lamp causing the flare in this circumstance, out of the field of view captured on the sensor but inside the field of view of the lens with stubby lens hood flanges. It wasn't particularly obvious in the viewfinder although it shows up quite visibly in the image file. Shading the lens with my hand, if I'd seen it was flaring like that, would have solved this particular problem. So would a deeper, full circle lens hood.

The Kalt 1" deep metal lens hoods that I use on other lenses in this focal length range won't fit the FA31 due to the fixed hood being in the way.

Godfrey