Russell,
Not that I have any expertise whatsoever on the subject of wildlife photography, but I'd say also that primes are definitely the way to go. And you will always want more "reach" than you have. Seems like in order to get really close for those frame filling shots that shooting from a blind produces the best results. Especially with the more skittish species. At least with the Pentax equipment that doesn't have image stabilization built in.

I have been very satisfied with a relatively new enablement in the Tokina AT-X 400mm f5.6. This is the same lens that Bruce and a few others here also have. It is light and small for a 400mm prime; very hand-holdable on bright days. I haven't taken a lot of time yet to see how it works with a 1.4X teleconverter for extra reach. Here is a recent shot grabbed in my front yard:

http://i.pbase.com/o4/87/63987/1/58830040.YardBird.jpg

Too bad they discontinued this lens. I too would be tempted to get another if it came up available. I don't think however that the lens mentioned by William as going for $40.00 on eBay is the same. There is another version (manual) by Tokina; the SL I beleive, but it is not the same or even close in quality to the AT-X SD version.

Good luck with your search,

JayT