On Apr 19, 2006, at 12:18 AM, David Savage wrote:

FA 100mm f2.8 Macro isn't too shabby:

<http://www.arach.net.au/~savage/GESO/GESO_001/pages/IMGP2152_2.html>

Of course you need friendly birds :-)

Not necessarily, but you'd better be prepared to crop. A lot. Here's a small section of a slide I just happened to be working on this evening...

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/temp/swans.html

That's Velvia grain you can see ;) The image is a bit soft because the 15mm isn't very sharp wide-open, and I was pushing my luck with the exposure (1/15th handheld with MLU, I think). Oh and it was misty, which is why I was out shooting in the first place.

Perhaps a slightly better example is this friendly duck I shot at 24mm.
http://pug.komkon.org/01sep/Closeup.html

- Dave (hoping to attempt photographing fantails soon, if they can stay still long enough)