On May 9, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Tim Øsleby wrote:

> First I need something light on Elements. So I'm leaning against Scott
> Kelby, The Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Photographers. The
> reviews
> indicates that this is light humourous reading. A light approach on
> the
> subject seems good for my PS fobia.
>
> Me and Lightroom gets along very well, but to read up on it might be
> productive. So there I'm debating two candidates Kelby og Evening.
> I could
> by both, but that sounds like overkill at the moment.

Scott's book seems a little more suited to the person starting out
using Lightroom where Martin's book is more comprehensive, reference
documentation grade.

> The workflow book by Bruce Frasier has been recomended several
> times. The
> one thing that is holding me back, is that I'm a bit scared by the
> idea of
> geting Computer Program Bying Adiction by reading about the big
> brother in
> the PS family. I want to standardise on Elements for a while, and
> see how we
> gets along. The cheap part of me says I will do very well, with
> Lightroom as
> a frontend. But I'm weak against temptations.

Real World Camera Raw has a lot of relevance for anyone doing RAW
conversion and any user of Camera Raw. It discusses a lot of features
of Bridge and Camera Raw that are only germaine to Photoshop CS/CS2
and are not relevant to PSElements use (they're just not available),
but if you're using Lightroom most of those things (and more) are
accessible to you anyway albeit with a different UI and workflow basis.

> Back to Kelby's Elements book.  Some reviews indicates that it is
> too light.
> Are there other better alternatives, that are not too detailed
> trigging my
> PS phobia? A search at amazon gives too many results. I'm not able
> to sort
> out what to buy from there. I can't buy them all ;-)

Scott tends to write with a folksy, humorous approach in his
language. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it grates on me a little
bit. Overall he provides good, useful information. I haven't read his
books on PSE specifically.

Given Lightroom as the basis of your photo work, what you want to use
PSE for is the higher level, selective RGB editing features that are
not available in Lightroom rather than overall workflow and basics.
Look for books that show techniques to accomplish specific editing
tasks beyond the level of across-the-board, whole image editing
features. Scott's "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers"
is like that: a bunch of useful techniques for specific editing
situations.

David Blattner/Bruce Fraser's "Real World Photoshop CS2" is like that
too, although more comprehensive, and might prove suitable as well.

Godfrey