***
However, I keep hearing that its (Seiko-sha?) metal focal plane shutter
induces a fair amount of vibration [see typical excerpt below]; this would
sort of defeat the whole idea of MLU (which is the main reason I am thinking
***

Yes, the vibration of the shutter is very strong. It can be even felt when handholding
the camera. I got the K2DMD just for the MLU, which is lacking in almost anz other
body except KX and LX. However, the K2 has more sources of vibrations... it§s not a
body I would pick for its vibration-free operation now, I would use a KX or LX. But I
dont have LX or KX, so I have to use mz K2DMD.

Sources of vibration:

Mirror. MLU solves this only PARTIALLY! The mechanism used for springing mirror up
before exposure IS NOT COMPLETELY TURNED OFF when MLU is used!!! So it justs springs
in vain, but inducing serious vibration nevertheless. Its better than without MLU,
though. IMHO, this vibration of this source is STRONGER when the MLU is used!!! But as
the mirror itself induces even more vibration, it§s still better to use MLU than not.

Aperture. The aperture activating lever IS NOT TURNED OFF WHEN MLU is used. Another
strong source of vibration. Holding in the DOF preview button makes it even worse, so
it cannot be solved.

Shutter. Even the shutter makes slight vibration, but in effect, it§s the smallest of
those other sources.

I can see the effects of these vibrations when I put the camera on tripod and put a
glass with water on the camera, then use selftimer to trigger the shutter. Even with
MLU, there are waves apparent on the surface of water. And I can see it in pictures,
especially with long lenses. So fo extra long lenses, big wooden tripod is necessity.

Frantisek