I think mirror lens have the realyl advantages (well more or less) of being:

* portable (but a bit too much, they are too lightweight for the focal
length IMO and as such difficult to stabilize). In the end you still
need a tripod which kinda negates the argument.

* cheap. and I think this is the major point why people buy those. I
have one although I didn't pay for it (long term loan ;) I'm sometimes
very happy having it. I know I will *never* be able to pay for
"proper" 500mm lens. so I'm happy with my Tamron.

True the bokeh is indeed very problematic. But as a chgeap astro lens
like moonshots (at least for a newbie like me) I think it is a very
acceptable solution... not without obvious drawbacks.

--
Thibault Massart aka Thibouille