I've had some experience with NiMH and a good battery charger with my -DS.... although no Eneloops (yet). I've had two different batches of cheap, no-name batt (Powerizer?), and a couple sets of Energizer. I've got a LaCross BC-900 charger so I can accurately see how they perform and charge/discharge them correctly. Bottom line is that the camera (at least the -DS) is *VERY* dependent on battery voltage. It will crap out and refuse to operate once the loaded voltage goes too low... where "too low" is NOT the 1.0Vpc that is typically used to measure cell capacity, and "loaded" is the relatively large current the electronics draw when the camera is turned on.

Look at the second plot in the link you sent. If the camera says any battery less than 1.2V is "dead," then no-name will have 800mAH and Eneloop 1400mAH. In fact, if the threshold is anything more than 1.1V, the higher (under load) voltage of the Eneloops will be superior to the no-name. Most electric devices crap out WAY before the minimum threshold voltage of a "dead" NiMH cell... the only time you get the rated capacity is under testing on the bench, or using devices that don't shut off (flashlights, etc).

Oh, and the continual trickle charge is not necessarily the best way to keep batteries in good health. It can grow metalized "whiskers" within the cell and shows up as voltage depression... effectively reduced capacity.

-Cory