From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Cory Papenfuss
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 8:47 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: RE: *ist DS storage question

        I've had some experience with NiMH and a good battery charger
with
my -DS.... although no Eneloops (yet).  I've had two different batches
of
cheap, no-name batt (Powerizer?), and a couple sets of Energizer.  I've
got a LaCross BC-900 charger so I can accurately see how they perform
and
charge/discharge them correctly.  Bottom line is that the camera (at
least
the -DS) is *VERY* dependent on battery voltage.  It will crap out and
refuse to operate once the loaded voltage goes too low... where "too
low"
is NOT the 1.0Vpc that is typically used to measure cell capacity, and
"loaded" is the relatively large current the electronics draw when the
camera is turned on.

        Look at the second plot in the link you sent.  If the camera
says
any battery less than 1.2V is "dead," then no-name will have 800mAH and
Eneloop 1400mAH.  In fact, if the threshold is anything more than 1.1V,
the higher (under load) voltage of the Eneloops will be superior to the
no-name.  Most electric devices crap out WAY before the minimum
threshold
voltage of a "dead" NiMH cell... the only time you get the rated
capacity
is under testing on the bench, or using devices that don't shut off
(flashlights, etc).

        Oh, and the continual trickle charge is not necessarily the best

way to keep batteries in good health.  It can grow metalized "whiskers"
within the cell and shows up as voltage depression... effectively
reduced
capacity.

-Cory

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, JC OConnell wrote:

> never mind, I looked it up myself,
> as you can see, even sanyo's own
> "regular" nimh batteries have "far superior"
> capacity on a full charge than their
> own eneloopes:
>
> http://www.eneloop.info/home/performance-details/capacity.html
>
> So what does this mean, well if you use your
> batteries within a couple months of charging
> the eneloops will run out of energy quicker
> than regular nimh batteries.
>
> the only advantage of using eneloops is if
> you charge and then dont use for two months
> or more. By then the self discharge of the
> regular nimh will have equalized to the the lower
> capacity of the eneloops have in the first
> place when fully charged.
>
> So, unless you actully wait 2 months to use the
> eneloops after charging, they are inferior,
> not superior to regular nimh for what a battery
> does which is store ususable energy.
>
> JC O'Connell
> hifis...@gate.net

*
* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, PPSEL-IA
*
* Research Associate, Vibrations and Acoustics Laboratory
*
* Mechanical Engineering
*
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
*
follow the directions.