Which would be better?

I have a main external hard drive used as a scratch disk and for holding
files for video editing. It gets backed up regularly (using SuperDuper -
backup software) to a second drive for redundancy. Every few months or
so I figure it is a good idea to wipe the main external HD completely
and reinstall the backed up files. The question is, which would be better:

To wipe the main external drive and simply drag and drop the backup onto it?

or

To wipe the main external drive and use the backup software to allow it
to do its thing and clone back onto it?

Mac OS 10.5.8

TIA

--