On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Doug Franklin
<jehosep...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On 2010-01-31 6:42, Cotty wrote:
>
>> To wipe the main external drive and simply drag and drop the backup onto
>> it?
>>
>> or
>>
>> To wipe the main external drive and use the backup software to allow it
>> to do its thing and clone back onto it?
>
> I don't know about MAC specifics, since I'm a Windows and Linux sort of guy.
>  But I don't like using backup software, because it usually doesn't leave
> the files in a directly accessible format on the backup target. So, I
> generally just do regular file copies to the backup media.  I don't
> typically use the GUI for tasks like this, because I've found that on most
> systems the command line tools for copying files work faster, since they
> don't spend any time dinking around keeping the screen up to date.  So, for
> me, it'd be a small shell script or something that simply copies everything
> I want backed up to the external drive.
>

> --
> Thanks,
> DougF (KG4LMZ)

Most good backup software leaves readable copies of files on the
destination drive when copying to a standard filesystem. I tend to use
rsync-based backup strategies myself, but there's a zillion good
options on Mac, Linux or PC that don't behave as you suggest.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca