----- Original Message ----- From: "John Sessoms"
Subject: RE: tripod advice sought

And at that, I thought Canada was part of NAFTA. Why *IS* there a hassle with Canadian Customs?

We though the USA was part of NAFTA, but there always seems to be some sort of protectionist sanction going on that was covered by NAFTA but arbitrarily ignored by one government or the other (usually the US).

However, NAFTA's scope covers trade of goods manufactured within the signatory countries, not trade of goods manufactured by third party countries. So, a tripod that is made in Taiwan, and imported to the USA would be subject to duties when it is subsequently imported to Canada, since Taiwan is not part of NAFTA.

William Robb