On 5/18/2010 10:37 AM, Chris Mitchell wrote:
Larry Colen wrote
Subject: Geso: Virginia's birthday party

A friend had a party for her 50th birthday last weekend and wanted me
to do photos at it.

It pretty much was my first time doing a "studio shoot" someplace
other than my house, so I spent a lot of time figuring out what to
bring, what I'd use etc.  It took me a while to get the lights dialed
in, I didn't actually ever feel very comfortable with the lighting,
but I got it close enough.

A couple of the photos border on risque, but I don't thing anything is
quite NSFW:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157624084878522/

This shot of Josh and Sabrina answers the question of what he has on
his mind:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4617522133/in/set-72157624084878522/

There are some good portraits here Larry.

Thanks a bunch.

 Assuming the main one is Virginia,
she should be very happy with her birthday shot.

This is Virginia:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4617524105/in/set-72157624084878522/

It was funny, she wandered in when I was between subjects, so I jumped her to the front of the line, took a couple test shots, saw that they looked good and went with that. She asked me what she needed to do, and I said that these were great. She was going to change into something else but never actually got around to it.

 The Josh and Sabrina one is
great fun too. Burlesque rather than NSFW.

Yes, that might be a better word. But some workplaces might frown on even those. Here's her website btw:
http://sabrinamodelle.com/

Some do suffer from darkness on the right hand side - perhaps a reflector
would be a useful addition to your lighting kit.

Yes, I tried using the umbrella on the other strobe as a reflector, I also tried hanging a reflector on the umbrella on a couple of the shots. It's definitely something I need to work on.

Hopefully, in the near future I'll be able to have both time and models to practice on.

You do know some interesting people, don't you? They make good subjects.

It does make it easier to get interesting photos when the subjects are a bit quirky themselves.

Chris