On Jul 12, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Jerry in Arizona wrote:
>
>> For some years I have been an on again off again soccer fan while playing
>> and coaching American football.  But after watching this WC series I am now
>> coninced that Soccer (futball) is a vastly superior GAME to American
>> football.
>> Congratulations to the Spanish team and all its supporters!
>
> When I was an undergraduate our wrestling coach -- who was a four time All
> American, as were his two sons -- took a stopwatch to an American football
> game and kept track of the amount of time the players were actually doing
> anything other than walking around, standing around, in the huddle, etc. As I
> recall it was less than two minutes.

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar
estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the
field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes. But action is only part of the
game: strategy and formations play a large roll as do personnel shifts. I'm an
avid fan of American football, but I can't sit through an entire soccer game
waiting for one score. Each to their own.

Paul