On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:
> while it's not as fast, CS2 runs without problem on Intel Macs (my
> experience is up through Mac OS X 10.5); the Intel-native version is quicker
> and has new features, and is an obvious choice for commercial production
> use, but for basic work where speed isn't the crucial factor, i've found CS2
> to be completely adequate
>
> the PowerPC emulation in Mac OS X is surprisingly good; in fact i just did
> some basic editing on some 200 MB TIFFs (scans of plat maps) the other day
> and didn't really notice any lags (i have 8GB RAM, which helps); it sure
> beats the Quadra 950 with 128MB of RAM with which i used to do compositing
> for prepress

I'll extend your compliment to the PowerPC emulation engineers at
Apple. The three leads on that part of the system are buddies of mine
since 1991. :-)

I didn't say CS2 had problems running on the Apple-Intel box; I said
performance was *significantly* improved.

I just received a new Mac Mini with Core-Duo 2.66Ghz and 8G RAM,
running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Since I need Rosetta installed anyway
for other applications, my first interest was to compare performance
between CS2 and CS4. And since my PowerMac G5 (10.5.6, 8G RAM, etc) is
still up and running with both applications installed, I tested it
there too.

test 1: I have a 250 step image manipulation script which stamps a
start and end time into the image for this testing. I threw the same
60 Megabyte TIFF image file at both CS2 and CS4, running the identical
script, three times each, on both machines. CS4 on the PowerPC system
runs the script approximately 10% faster on average than CS2. CS2 on
the Mac Mini runs the script approximately 5% faster than on the G5;
CS4 on the Mac Mini runs the script approximately 60% faster than on
the G5.

test 2: CS4+ACR 5.7 processes 100 native K10D PEF files in 30% of the
time that CS2+ACR 3.7 consumes on the Mac Mini. (I didn't run this
test on the G5.)

To me, performance improvements like that make the CS2 to CS4 upgrade
fee trivial when I consider how much time it will save. It also means
editing becomes FAR more responsive and fun. :-)

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com