On 26/9/10, Bob W, discombobulated, unleashed:

>it must hard work with the cameraman on his back like that.

Funny you should say that. I once filmed a group of women on an aerial
ropework course. They were swinging through trees, abseiling, god knows
what. One of them was a TV presenter and she was mic'd up so I was
basically filming her as she tried all this. One of the exercises was
called the leap of faith. (With a safety line attached to the back of
your full harness and a bloke on the ground to steady your rapid descent
if you fell), they climbed 40 feet up a pole and negotiated a platform
at the top, to stand and jump 6 feet to catch onto a trapeze, then being
lowered to the ground. I filmed all this from the ground and a
neighbouring pole, same 40 feet up. I had a safety harness as well, and
filmed it all, great fun. Next was lunch, and a dozen chatty women
saying that 'yeah go on you should have a go' etc. I couldn't let the
side down so climbed the pole. Negotiating the platform at the top, a
simple 2 foot ledge on one side of the pole was a nightmare. Leaping to
the trapeze damned near killed me. I have never been so terrified in my
life. Took me ages to realise why - no camera. Whenever I'm at height
(up a tower, hot-air balloon, in a helicopter with no doors etc etc) I
have the safety of a viewfinder to look down and everything is
concentrated in getting the best angle for the shot. No camera = no life
obviously for me! It was terror like I couldn't believe.

Curiously enough I've never skydived either....

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__