Cotty wrote:

On 26/9/10, Bob W, discombobulated, unleashed:

it must hard work with the cameraman on his back like that.

Funny you should say that. I once filmed a group of women on an aerial
ropework course. They were swinging through trees, abseiling, god knows
what. One of them was a TV presenter and she was mic'd up so I was
basically filming her as she tried all this. One of the exercises was
called the leap of faith. (With a safety line attached to the back of
your full harness and a bloke on the ground to steady your rapid descent
if you fell), they climbed 40 feet up a pole and negotiated a platform
at the top, to stand and jump 6 feet to catch onto a trapeze, then being
lowered to the ground. I filmed all this from the ground and a
neighbouring pole, same 40 feet up. I had a safety harness as well, and
filmed it all, great fun. Next was lunch, and a dozen chatty women
saying that 'yeah go on you should have a go' etc. I couldn't let the
side down so climbed the pole. Negotiating the platform at the top, a
simple 2 foot ledge on one side of the pole was a nightmare. Leaping to
the trapeze damned near killed me. I have never been so terrified in my
life. Took me ages to realise why - no camera. Whenever I'm at height
(up a tower, hot-air balloon, in a helicopter with no doors etc etc) I
have the safety of a viewfinder to look down and everything is
concentrated in getting the best angle for the shot. No camera = no life
obviously for me! It was terror like I couldn't believe.

Scariest height thing I've ever done was what is called the Triforium tour of Durham cathedral. Basically, swanning around in the roof spaces. At one point, you have to traverse around the bell tower at the crossover of the nave and apse. This is done on a ledge about 18" wide, with a similar or lower height parapet, about 150ft up. No harness or rope - not even a helmet. So I'm trying to move the 50yards or so whilst glued to the wall behind me when the thought strikes me that this is a manmade object about 900years old. And the guide has spent the last hour explaining how the building is almost alive, it moves so much. Knickerwetting.....