On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
> But having "a steep learning curve" would actually be a good thing.
>
> What people actually mean, when they say this, is that the program in
> question has a high bar to get over before you can use it proficiently.
>
> With a steep learning curve, you'd leasrn enough to get over that bar
> in a short span of time.  With a shallow learning curve, though, you
> would have to spend far more time before you became proficient.
> That, in my opinion, would be a far less desirable situation.

Hmm.

The metaphor of 'a steep learning curve' is to say that something with
this characteristic takes a lot of effort to learn ... there's a lot
to learn in a relatively short space of time to achieve a proficient
skill. Kind of like climbing a steep hill .. it takes a lot more
effort in unit time to achieve the top of the hill if the hill is
steep. .

With an "easy" or gradual learning curve, one doesn't have to work as
hard to become skilled ... the distance may or may not be as high, but
the slope is longer so it's easier to move along it.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com