On Oct 23, 2012, at 2:15 PM, Brian Walters wrote:

> Interesting article that uses a K-5 and a Sigma 50-500 mm HSM lens.  The
> article doesn't say what focal length was used in the tests but presumably it
> was the long end.
>
> http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/image-stabilisers-optical-mechanical-a1608.html

Interesting.  I assume that they tried it at 500mm,  how about at 50mm?

I remember seeing something recently about how there are only about four
different basic types of lenses, and that the lens formula that works for zoom
lenses is only good to about f/2.8.  I suspect that it takes one of those lens
formula in order to do optical stabilization.

I also remember reading about how having a moving element in the optical path
decreases the sharpness of the photo.  I note that he doesn't perform MTF
calculations on the images, so he's not actually quantifying levels of
sharpness with the different methods.