There are more than 4 basic lens designs, and they are mixed and
matched depending on the lens design.  If you really want to know
about lens design, read these articles:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/08/lens-geneology-part-1
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/09/lens-genealogy-part-2

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/01/cooking-with-glass