On Jun 4, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Matthew Hunt <m...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> On Jun 4, 2013, at 11:11 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>> Too bad I don't have a subscription to cancel.
>>
>> Why, might I ask? Does it matter how the paper gets their photos? Not much
>> resolution is required for reproduction on newsprint stock.
>
> Not to answer for John, but my concern wouldn't be the camera used,
> but the firing of the photojournalists and the loss of their
> expertise.

A good point. The jobs of some photographers will go away. I provide both copy
and photos for all of the pubs I work for, but that's not  common. However, it
might have to be if newspapers are to survive. They can't make ends meet on the
old model. That's been proven. Cost cutting is essential, and if a quality
product can be delivered at less cost by combining photographer and journalist
roles -- even at larger pubs -- it's going to happen. The other choice is no
newspaper and no jobs.

BTW, most newspaper staff photographer jobs are already gone. The vast majority
of pubs depend on freelancers at minimal rates when they have to and use stock
photography much of the time. Training reporters to generate their own photos
might actually be an upgrade.