On Jun 4, 2013, at 2:39 PM, Walt <ldott...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/4/2013 1:21 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>> On Jun 4, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Matthew Hunt <m...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Not to answer for John, but my concern wouldn't be the camera used,
>>> but the firing of the photojournalists and the loss of their
>>> expertise.
>>>
>> A good point. The jobs of some photographers will go away. I provide both
>> copy and photos for all of the pubs I work for, but that's not  common.
>> However, it might have to be if newspapers are to survive. They can't make
>> ends meet on the old model. That's been proven. Cost cutting is essential,
>> and if a quality product can be delivered at less cost by combining
>> photographer and journalist roles -- even at larger pubs -- it's going to
>> happen. The other choice is no newspaper and no jobs.
>>
>> BTW, most newspaper staff photographer jobs are already gone. The vast
>> majority of pubs depend on freelancers at minimal rates when they have to
>> and use stock photography much of the time. Training reporters to generate
>> their own photos might actually be an upgrade.
> I'm not so sure it will work out any better than it would have if they'd just
> fired all the reporters and trained the photographers to write.

I assume you're being facetious, but as I said, the staff photographers are
already gone for the most part. And while cameras have become capable of
getting most of the technical details of a photograph right, no one has yet
produced a machine that can conduct interviews and generate good copy. That too
may be coming, but, thankfully,  it won't be in my lifetime.
Paul