On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately you can't separate the technical and aesthetic properties. For
> example, you ask
> [...]
>
> And I ask in return what does "properly focused" mean? It depends on what you
> intend for the picture, so it cannot have a single once-and-for-all answer -
> you have to make a subjective, aesthetic judgement.
> [...]

    Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding / miscommunication in
my purpose.  Thus I'll want to make some clarifications (which maybe I
didn't properly make in the context section):

    I very well understand that all technical decisions must match the
subject at hand.  That's why I've stated that for the same scene (by
which I mean subject) I have multiple, almost identical, exposures,
which vary slightly especially in exposure (at most 1 stop),
auto-focus error, or possibly blur due to improper hand-held camera.

    Thus I don't want to find a mathematical answer to "which
technical setting is the best for a particular subject", but to the
answer to the question "from a set of almost identical images which is
the 'optimal' in terms of technical qualities".

> "Sharp enough" for what?

    I'll give a small example:  with my old P&S Fuji S5600, without
any image stabilization, at night I had to resort to 1/4 seconds
exposure (the sensor is quite small, 1/2.3 inch, thus the sake is less
than in APS-C).  After a few time I've observed that if I shot in a
burst of three pictures, one of them (usually the middle or last one)
were less "fuzzy" than the other.

    Thus "sharp enough" in this context means the one in which lines
(or edges) are "contrasty" enough to obtain something useful after
sharping.

> What is "correct" exposure?

    In this case it is more simple.  Given that I've already chosen
what to prioritize in exposures (highlights, shadows, or mid-tones),
which of the few exposures best represents my choice.

> These questions have no meaning on their own, divorced from the subject
> matter of the photograph, and the intentions of the photographer.

    As seen I'm not trying find an auto-magic AI
(artificial-intelligence) that can discern aesthetically what settings
to use, but instead given a set of "options" which ones are the
"cleanest".

    Thanks all for replying,
    Ciprian.