On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>      To keep the analogy with driving, I guess that the equivalent of
>> "artists" in the automobile world are the Formula 1 drivers (or
>> similar).  However I bet that they master their controls well beyond
>> "driving more or less automatic", up-to taking highly informed
>> decisions almost subconsciously.  Thus I guess that at least some of
>> the artists in the photography world have done similarly, i.e.
>> mastered the technical details beyond "automatic".
>

> No, they are just very good technicians who have truly mastered their craft.
> The artists are the soccer moms who can maneuver a sport utility vehicle
> with half a dozen screaming kids in the back over icy roads and get home
> safely.

    Hoping that you were not kidding with the above :), I must say
this is the best definition I've read for "artists", i.e. "very good
technicians who have truly mastered their craft".  (The "soccer moms"
I would call them heroes.)  :)

> Look at pictures, lots of pictures, especially those of other photographers.
> Ask yourself why they made the compositional decisions that they made.

    And this is one of the reasons I like PDML:  there is a good
balance between photographs (PESO, GESO, etc.) and technical debates.

> BTW, welcome to the PDML.

    Thanks!  Although I haven't contributed much (only a few posts so
far), I've been stealthily enjoying its membership since this April.

    Ciprian.