On 24 February 2014 07:37, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:

> i found it by way of this amusing tool which executes google searches by
> teletype:
>
> <http://www.masswerk.at/google60/>
>

> i didn't use punch cards much - at university i was lucky to plunge directly
> into interactive CRT terminal use in 1978; on the side i had a research
> assistantship with Arthur Swersey, a disarmingly non-conformant biz school
> professor who wouldn't blink when i showed up at his office in bare feet and
> cutoffs; one of my many tasks with Prof. Swersey was to set up some SIMULA
> jobs to run on an IBM 360; i think that, about 1981, was my only contact with
> punch cards, and it felt pretty old-fashioned

This is great!  I'm taking that link to work tomorrow to show the
"gun" web-devs what they missed. Along with my 96-column IBM punchcard
template, if I can find it. Makes a great coffee coaster...

I used 80-column punch cards on Burroughs machines from the late 70's
thru the mid-80's. The whole cold-start deck for b4xxx mainframes was
on cards.  You dropped the (very large) deck on pain of death...
manual resorting was punishment.

 Also used to boot a couple of their "mini" mainframes from cassette.

Ciao,

Pete Mac in Melbourne