Here's a bit of trivia. The original 80 column Hollerith card was the same size as the dollar bill then in circulation. Since then the size of the dollar bill was shrunk.

jm

-----Original Message----- From: Peter McIntosh
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 4:35 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT - The good old days (computer-wise)

On 24 February 2014 07:37, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:

i found it by way of this amusing tool which executes google searches by teletype:

<http://www.masswerk.at/google60/>

i didn't use punch cards much - at university i was lucky to plunge directly into interactive CRT terminal use in 1978; on the side i had a research assistantship with Arthur Swersey, a disarmingly non-conformant biz school professor who wouldn't blink when i showed up at his office in bare feet and cutoffs; one of my many tasks with Prof. Swersey was to set up some SIMULA jobs to run on an IBM 360; i think that, about 1981, was my only contact with punch cards, and it felt pretty old-fashioned

This is great!  I'm taking that link to work tomorrow to show the
"gun" web-devs what they missed. Along with my 96-column IBM punchcard
template, if I can find it. Makes a great coffee coaster...

I used 80-column punch cards on Burroughs machines from the late 70's
thru the mid-80's. The whole cold-start deck for b4xxx mainframes was
on cards.  You dropped the (very large) deck on pain of death...
manual resorting was punishment.

Also used to boot a couple of their "mini" mainframes from cassette.

Ciao,

Pete Mac in Melbourne