Quoting Darren Addy <pixelsmi...@gmail.com>:

So here is the image I submitted to the last PUG:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelsmithy/14043251365/
and here it is more like I wanted it, with couple clicks in the
aforementioned Perfect Effects 8
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelsmithy/13983938150/

The new version certainly brings out details in the clouds that dramatically improve the impact of the sky. I'm less happy about the effect of the post processing on the tree foliage - gives it an over-sharpened look. Perhaps a bit of judicious layering/masking could produce the definitive version.

I have a copy of an earlier giveaway - Perfect Effects 4 - that I use occasionally. It's certainly worth having even if not used regularly. I've downloaded version 8 but I'll have to wait until I get a 64 bit OS before I get a chance to use it.

Cheers

Brian

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia
http://lyons-ryan.org/southernlight/

I believe someone may have earlier commented about the horizon not
being level. Guilty as charged, but I think the rotation (and
accompanying crop) loses something. (That "something" is the sweep of
the yellow weeds down the lower right corner, which I think is a big
part of the pleasing composition. It creates an "arrowhead" on the
lower righthand part of the photo that subconsciously directs your eye
into the dark heart of the storm.)

I still really like the monochrome version, in which the clouds look
even better (i think):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelsmithy/14040372551/